[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Sissyfication of the GSD

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:23:44 EST

I think you are.

Two different issues; one the dog as a watch dog, and there a dog should
bite if "pushed" by a perceived threat.

That said, I expect our dogs to be intelligent enough that hey are able to
discriminate between a judge at a dog show and a perceived threat. Dog
shows are  fun outings; at least they are for my dogs.

The GSD was originally a working farm and herding dog.  There was  NO ROOM
for aggression between dogs.  I don't think we should excuse it  t-day
either. I don't.  I have 5 males in the house.  All but the 2  youngest have
been
used for breeding.  If I see on ounce of dog aggression,  believe me, they
will be in for some very "special handling".  In  fact, one can breed a
bitch, the bitch leaves, the dog who bred the bitch  re-joins his housemates
and
they all snooze in front of the fire.

No dog aggression allowed or excused here.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 2/10/2010 4:13:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

After reading Dave's interview...I have a question.   In  it, he mentioned
that Rollins would only bite if he was pushed and that he  prefered a
tougher dog.   Assuming I am interpeting this  correctly....I have to admit
that
I've always prefered a tougher GSD and have  never really bought into the new
and improved temperaments  of wagging tails and kisses for the judge.

I  also recall some incidents at shows where male dogs particuarly, would
show  aggressive tendancies outside the ring that would send witnesses  into
a tizzy....and I'm thinking...okay these are Shepherd "people"?   I've
always equated a stud dog with a breeding sstallion that  requires special
handling and respect.  Am I missing something  here?

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org