[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Sissyfication of the GSD

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:52:02 +0000 (UTC)

Apparently.  A TRUE GSD temperament is [quoted from t he standard] "  The
breed has a distinct personality marked by direct and fearless, but not
hostile, expression, self-confidence and a certain aloofness that does not lend
itself to immediate and indiscriminate friendships. The dog must be
approachable, quietly standing its ground and showing confidence and
willingness to meet overtures without itself making them."    Interpreted to
mean NOT lunging or attempting to bite without provovcation.  Approachable in
ALMOST ALL situations withoput hostility.  Snapping and/or growling at humans
while outside the a show ring is completely inappropriate!!!!!  NOONE there
is doing enough to provoke any SOUND dog.   My import, Helios, is
frewuently around children and gusets in my home and has never threatened anone
I invited onto the property.  He does quite frequently [and very noshallantly
[sp]] just place himself between me and folks that are first time visitors but
has never shown any threat.  Yet I wouldn't hesitate to walk down ANY street
in ANY city with this IPO 3 dog.  The "Golden Retriever wiggle' is not quite
as faulty as the dog that attempts to bite but is still a variation from the
standard.

I understand Dave's point.  And that is.... How much provocation would it take
to make a dog defend family????  That is the question and in most cases where
we have varied from the standard - some one way and others the other.... but
still a VARIATION from ideal which is CLEARLY stated in the Standard.

Suzanne Kinman

www.tsalishepherds.com