[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: The Sissyfication of the GSD

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 17:59:14 -0800 (PST)

You raise a point I didn't consider.....degrees of correct temperament and
personal preference.

An old generation GSD breeder/judge showed me how to properly conduct a
temperament test once.  He said don't look the dog in the eye, approach
confidently, touch the dog on the head and walk away......no leaning over, no
pounding the dog on it's side, no messing with the leash or making kissy face
with it (he didn't say kissy face :o))......respect the dog.

Lets face it, a tough dog that might intimate people is going to be labeled
negatively where as the dog that is all about feeling the love and swooning
over every stranger they meet is going to be considered a dog with an
outstanding temperament.   Society, legislation, fear of lawsuits and
conformist attitudes .....are driving that train......and in ten years......who
knows what most people will consider a "correct" temperament.

All I know is if we start putting bows in our dogs....I'm out........though
FYI......according to Ed Biven....Red it the preferred color of choice for
black and tans (at least as it pertains to yorkies). <g>

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com