[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Swim in the pool you have

  • From: Ken Tank <tanksr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 19:18:53 -0800

I think my posts tend to be too short and sweet. You have to do your
homework no matter what dog you breed to. Outcrossing is absolutely not a
pattern for disaster. Any breeding done without proper knowledge of the
pedigrees is a pattern for disaster. Many have very successfully
outcrossed. In fact, in the old days breeders would outcross every 2nd or
3rd breeding. Only in the last 20 years or so did we stop doing this.
Many other breeds will keep track of "inbreeding coefficient" (the number
of times a dog appears in the pedigree.
Much of breeding is an art but don't ignore the science.

Ken