[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Swim in the pool you have

  • From: carolyn mckenna <carolynmckenna@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx" <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>, "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 09:24:10 -0800 (PST)

It doesn't work today because few really good German dogs make their way to
American
soil.  In the 50s and 60s we had some great dogs imported, and they made their
mark on
the American dogs.  There are good dogs in Germany, but they stay in Germany.
 Do not
think for even one minute that American judges look for different conformation
and
movement than they did years ago.  The standard has not changed, and judges
still aim
for structure and temperament as described in that standard.
Carolyn

________________________________
From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:57:25 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Swim in the pool you have

While I have no objection to a larger gene pool, remember that it means
less predictability in the breeding results.

If you increase the gene pool for no other reason than to have more
options, it is like breeding more litters to get more puppies.  You should
only
bring additional genes into the breed, if it will improve the breed.

Those who for years have successfully bred German shepherds have done so
with the current gene pool selecting for breedings that will improve the
subsequent litters.  So far I have not seen anyone say that they can't find  a
male to breed to because everything is tainted.  In fact the quality of  our
dogs improves year by year.

We could open the gene pool by breeding to outcrosses all the time. That is
a pattern for disaster, or at least an inability to know what you will
get.  You might get a dog of quality, but will that animal ever produce
itself?

Breeding is not an exact science, but it is something that will allow the
intelligent breeder to predict with some degree of possibility what they
will  get from the choices.  If you bring in new lines, you need the knowledge
of  what they have produced both good and bad.

It is unfortunate but true, that no matter where you go, the only reliable
information you can have is what you yourself have observed.  No  country
has a monopoly on honesty.  You do not know what is in the rest of  the
litter from that great male from Germany, unless you yourself were  there to
see
those not shown.

Increasing the gene pool is more of a "feel good" thing, than an actual
boon to the breed.  You have to understand that you get the good with the
bad.  Or, you may get just the bad, and that can be a real problem  with our
breed.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament  come together

is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the original author
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

VISIT OUR WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org ;