[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Singles - a newcomer's POV

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:21:02 -0800 (PST)

Thank you for explaining what the problem is.  You saved me the effort of
writing all that.

  I have a bitch that is 'singled out'.  She has 8 points.  There were 2 2pt
shows, thank you Hellen Fisher Miller (did I get that right?).

  This dog need only majors.  If I try again with her, and I likely will, I
will be asking handlers I talk to to show her only when there are majors at
stake on at least one side, prefably both sides so that I can get it with
Winners and I don't have to pray for BOp.

  My mother has a bitch that just got her second major.  We need only one more
point.  Should be easy to get.

  But we take the points seriously and do not show when we would just be taking
unneeded point from other who do need it.

  Both of us have pulled dogs so that we are not 'stealing' but I maintain that
showing to keep the points up is important too.

  I had a show that I entered, decided I did not need the win and canceled my
plans.  I got a call from a local friend asking me show as she had a bitch who
needed one more point.

  I had already paid off the handler, since I pulled after closing date, and I
told him I would show myself so that I would most likely not win.

  The judge wanted to put me up for the point, but my bitch kept jumping up at
me and finally bloodied my nose.  I got Reserve, my friend got her point and
champion, her last before passing on, and everyone was happy, excpet the judge.
 He was angry at me for not controlling my bitch.

  But I get to live with the knowledge that by keeping my bitch in, and
maintaining the single point I did a great service and it turned out to be a
last service for a fellow breeder.

  I could not feel better about what I did that day and I never will be unhappy
with my decisions.  I could have had breed that day, but it would not have been
right.

  Now, if the DOG SHOW G-D would just take that into consideration!!!!!!!!
  Sheila
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 1/18/2006 12:39:44 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pawsitivelycaring@xxxxxxxxx writes:
What is wrong with showing for the fun of
it (I know, *gasp*, dog people view showing differently than horse people),
a grand free for all where all dogs are allowed to show and may the best one
win? Just wondering!

To achieve a CH a dog must have a minimum of 15 points; 2 majors (3 points
or better) and the balance made up of 1 or 2 point wins. Therefore, the
maximum amount of "singles" one should have would be 9 or if it happens that
the
dog picks up a few doubles along the way 10, and then the dog is what is
known as "singled out".

If you have a dog who is singled out (and of course w/ the caveat that it
isn't a major on the other side or by going up over the specials the win, in
that case BOB would be a major, there's not much point in showing the dog
because IF you were to win, the points would not "count" towards the dog's CH.

You'll hear that perhaps "so and so" is trying to win the group, but as
stated previously, it's extremely rare (when pigs fly?) that an unfinished dog
in
a breed with a poor entry that day will get the nod from a group judge.

So...continuing to "single point" a dog who is "singled out", therefore
taking points away from competitors who need them, (perhaps with a younger dog
just starting, who BTW also pay their entries and their handler), is considered
very poor sportsmanship.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd Dogs_

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.