[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Similar incident to Congo in Colorado

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>, <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:15:28 -0700

I was at the first rally. I talked to Ted Terroux, Sally's son, who was als=
there in support.  Sally is a legend in obedience training in the Denver
area, and most of my shepherds have gone through her classes.  Ted followed
in her footsteps.  Both focus on helping people train their dogs to be good
family members and good members of the community, not just for competition.
Ted, who makes his living as an animal trainer, has gone to bat for Laura
and Rolo, and is quoted in one of the articles:

"This is a pretty typical case in that any dog owner tries to play down wha=
happened, while the victim tries to play up what happened," Terroux said.
"The truth is somewhere in between."

Terroux said that rarely a week goes by that he does not recommend a dog be
put down for aggression issues. However, he said such a fate was not
warranted for Rolo, and he remains bothered by the large dog's ongoing
incarceration.

"This is so blown out of proportion, and putting down Rolo is not
warranted," Terroux said. "What's happening right now is outlandish. If I
were to keep a dog in a 3-foot-by-6-foot enclosure for 10 weeks, I'd be shu=
down."

Both the animal control officer and the city attorney disagree with the
order to put the dog to sleep, something that can't have endeared them to
their higher-ups. Quoting again:

In e-mails obtained by Mile High Newspapers, Robert Porec, the animal
control officer who responded to the call, expressed misgivings about the
case to Reid Betzig, an assistant city attorney.

"This case has been bothering me," Porec wrote to Reid on Sept. 7. "The bit=
was very minor, in fact, the EMT that examined the bite wasn't even sure to
call it a bite, as it was just a scratch=8A

"This seems like such an injustice for a dog that has never had an incident
before," he wrote. "I know the owner, Laura Hagan, is appealing this
decision. I don't blame her. I would too!"

Porec goes on to ask if Betzig can do anything about the decision, or if th=
appeals process can be expedited. He adds that Animal Control has had other
cases in which those dogs did more damage, and that the dogs weren't put
down.

In an e-mail response from Betzig an hour later, the assistant city attorne=
essentially writes that he had no control over the sentence.

"I don't necessarily agree with what happened," Betzig wrote. "I wasn't
happy about it in the slightest and it still bothers me. An appeal has been
filed and I don't have much control over it =8A So yah, this isn't a great
situation."

City spokespeople said neither Betzig nor Porec could comment for the
story."

And by the way, the reason Laura didn't get a lawyer is that the animal
control officer told her the incident was so minor that she didn't need one=
,
and at the first hearing, that was true.

I'm of the opinion that the woman thought she could make some money off thi=
Incident, and apparently the judge agreed.  Where Laura was clearly
ill-advised was keeping the dogs behind a chain-link fence where they could
see and bark at passersby in both the alley and on the front sidewalk.  Tha=
is frightening, and it pisses people off, and I don't blame them.

I find it curious that although she got seven neighbors to testify that
the dog was dangerous, not one person had ever called animal control to
complain.

Fran

On 12/7/07 10:08 AM, "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> =20
> =20
> In a message dated 12/6/2007 8:50:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
> I just  wonder where the owner was and why the dog had access to the woma=
> and child.  I get tired of dogs paying the price for owner failures.
> Ruth
>=20
>=20
>=20
> The newspaper clipping said she walks 3 dogs in rotation and  apparently =
the
> dogs got loose from behind the 5 foot chain link as she was  switching do=
gs,
> she was able to restrain 2 and this one got away.   Defiantly a case of t=
he
> dog=20
> will pay for the owner's mistake, not just  for loosing control of the do=
gs,
> but if you read the link, she started dog  training AFTER the incident.  =
He's
> five, why not wait a few more  years????
> =20
> Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
> Celebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd  Champions
>=20
> visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds
>=20
>=20
>=20
> **************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hott=
est
> products.
> (http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=3Daoltop00030000000001=
)
>=20
>=20
> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D
> POST is Copyrighted 2007.  All material remains the property of the origi=
nal
> author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any=
 kind
> are permitted without prior permission of the original author  AND of the
>=20
> PERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSL=
> FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL =
BE