[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Showdog Moms and Dads

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: MissJrHandlerGSD@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:53:38 EST

In a message dated 4/1/05 4:11:31 PM, MissJrHandlerGSD@xxxxxxx writes:

<< What I thought of the show was that the mom of adam the one  with the
aussies
was just too hard on him. How will he get any confidence with  his mother
saying the things she was saying? I would hate if that would happen  to me.

 I also bet that in the show all the put was the bad  stuff or what the
consider funny for rating purposes.

That was my main thought about it I wasn't too impressed with  the show over
all. It was kind of sad how it was portrayed in that way.

I didn't catch the show, I hope to catch it in rerun.  I think it could be
very hard on a Junior to have a parent as coach, if they are not constructive
in
their criticism but nasty.  It's hard to learn anything that is being taught
by a parent or spouse because of the emotional connection.  How much is really
constructive and how much is the parent living vicariously through their
child?

Sad to say, I've seen some fantastic young handlers who are burned out from
being on the circuit every single weekend.  They handle by rote, and their
faces show no expression, win or lose.

JMHO, but I feel that young handlers should be doing it because they WANT to,
I want them to feel how I STILL feel - the pre-show excitement, the careful
grooming, the butterflies as I hope the judge points to my dog, ALL of it. If I
could teach only one thing to a newcomer, it would be this:  When you lose
that excitement, when going to a show it just another chore on the to do list,
GET OUT.  Sure we all feel that way sometimes, but why do it if you are going
to always feel that way?  I get paid to get aggravated at work, but I'm not
going to pay to get aggravated participating in my hobby!

I still feel like I did when I started in Breed ten years ago.  Each show is
a new adventure.  (And some of my adventures would make for pretty funny TV -
like the time I accidentally put ear drops in my left eye in a dark hotel room
and waited until AFTER judging to get medical attention. Everyone around the
GSD ring thought it was perfectly normal that I waited for judging.  Everyone
else thought I was strange.)

Dave Rinke said it best at the 1997 Victory dinner - let us each participate
in this wonderful sport to the extent we each want to.  (That's probably
paraphrasing, but it has stuck with me forever.)

TV is not about showing normal people doing normal things.  They will find
the bizarre, the obscure, the weird.  They are not going to show us playing
ball
with our dogs, cleaning up after them, or weeping profusely when they go to
the Rainbow Bridge.  That is NORMAL.  Rather they would pick up on the type of
behavior exemplified in "Best In Show."

My personal philosophy is taken from the cliche "Live and Let Live."  If
someone has the time to examine my life and find it strange or bizarre that I
enjoy driving to obscure fairgrounds to collect ribbons and NOT win money (like
so
many believe) then so what?  I'm too busy LIVING to care.  If you've got the
time to laugh at me or poke fun at me because I sometimes like to show my own
dog and fall on my (face), then by all means, I'm glad to provide the
entertainment.  But remember this -- whoever is watching and laughing isn't
having
NEARLY as much fun as I am by doing.  One can only "Let Live" if they are
following the first part of the cliche -- "Live."  Of course, I'm preaching to
the
choir here, as we are all participating in this sport.  I just happen to not
mind falling in the mud, and will continue to do so as long as I am physically
able.

Well, the air up here on my soapbox is getting pretty thin!

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds