[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: San Antonio's 5 Year Plan Passed By City Council

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 02:35:45 -0400

-----Original Message-----

  TX-RPOA E-News From Responsible Pet Owners Alliance, the reasonable voice
regarding animal issues in Texas. Responsible Pet Owners Alliance is an
animal welfare organization, not "animal rights" and, yes, there is a
difference. Permission granted to crosspost.
  September 29, 2006
  San Antonio, TX Update

  Thanks to all of you who contacted San Antonio city officials regarding
the "animal rights" issues we are battling here in our own backyard:  A
Spay/Neuter Ordinance, Breeder Permit, and a Bill of Rights for San Antonio
Animals.

  San Antonio City Council approved the 5 Year Strategic Plan written by the
Animal Care Services Advisory Board with some minor changes August 31st.
The "Bill of Rights for Animals" was changed to "Establish community animal
care standards."

  We were granted a postponement regarding the Spay/Neuter Ordinance and
Breeder's Permit, but there is no victory.  The Implementation Timeline in
the Plan to consider this is Year Two.

  However a revision of the Animal Code has already begun and the battle
rages on.  The Animal Care Services Advisory Board has already inserted a
breeder permit in their first draft which has now gone to the Legal
Department and who-knows-what-else as copies are not available to the public
yet.  So timelines don't seem to mean anything.

  RPOA received word that June Van Tosh, a member of Citizens for Pound
Reform, recently spoke to the Greater San Antonio Owner Handler Association
and distributed three pages of the ACS draft regarding a breeder permit.
She told them she couldn't give them the rest of the ordinance.  It would
appear that Citizens for Pound Reform is actively promoting legislation that
is a proven failure in cities where it passed 10-12 years ago.  We also have
to wonder how she obtained a copy of this proposal when no one else can see
it.

  We'll send excerpts out in a separate email later to you as it is very
long.  Existing ordinance only regulates Boarding Dog Kennels and Catteries.
But just to whet your appetite (or spoil your dinner), this proposal says:
"the distinguishing feature of a kennel or cattery is the housing of the
majority of the animals in kennels, runs, or crates.  Private rescue groups
are exempt if they have an application on file at Animal Care Services.  But
private rescuers and fosters are subject to inspection."

  San Antonio has an excellent Animal Nuisance, Animal Cruelty, Dangerous
Animal, Leash Law and pet limits.  The Leash Law is not enforced nor even
publicized.  No one knows it exists.  The majority of San Antonio's
impounded animals are coming from nine zipcodes which also have the most
calls regarding crime and EMS calls.  More legislation will not work and is
discriminatory to low income families.  Free and low/cost spay neuter
services for their pets will work.

  The Animal Care Services Advisory Board has been informed by the Legal
Department that they are under the Open Records Act.  So no more closed
meetings -- that is if you can find out when and where they are being held.
We'll continue to provide our input for changes to the existing ordinance,
meet with city officials and monitor changes which are detrimental to pet
ownership.  We'll have more information for you later and thanks once again
for your help.

  Responsible Pet Owners Alliance 900 NE Loop 410 #311-D San Antonio, TX
78209 Phone: (210) 822-6763 Fax: (210) 822-9038 Website: www.
responsiblepetowners. org $15 Annual dues (January - December) To share
information, subscribe or unsubscribe, send an e-mail message to rpoa @
texas.net.

  Ginger Cleary, Rome, GA
  Never underestimate the ability of the hypocritical to hoodwink the
sanctimonious. www.rihadin.com