[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescued Baby Bunny - Need Help!

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gsd list <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:57:23 -0400

Oy.  When I was a little girl my grandpa brought me baby wild bunnies
every year when they were doing the first cut of hay.  The momma bunnies
would get killed...and he'd always bring me at least one litter, usually
more than one.  It isn't hard to raise them, but it takes time.  It's
OK, because they are so cute...and they get pretty tame!!!

No, they don't really eat salad and stuff when they are very little.
If it's really little, you will have to bottle feed it the same
way you'd feed orphan puppies............It might not know how to lap
water.  They get a lot of their water
from dew on the grass, and you will have to hand pick fresh grass for
it, and spritz the grass some but don't soak it........
but you will have to bottle it regularly..........     I fed mine just
plain milk, but you could try mixing half water with half evaporated
milk, the way we do for
newborn pups...........
       You can get rabbit pellets at a good pet store or feed store, and
when it's old enough it will nibble those..........
the only time bunnies eat carrots and lettuce and stuff is when those
things are growing in your garden...........
until it learns to eat on its own, you will have to pick grass for it,
etc.   It might nibble some very fresh lettuce, but probably not while
it's still nursing.
    You will also have to be careful to keep it warm and not too
exposed...rabbits live in the dark, you know...........I kept my bunnies
in a shoebox until they outgrew it....and leave the top on,
too...because if it gets out the cat will get this one, too...........
give it a handful of straw or finely shredded paper to make a nest
in........and cover the bottom of the box, too.............just a piece
of soft cloth will do.  You have to keep the box pretty clean, but it's
easy enough to do........

   Re hydrating it, I don't know about sticking it with anything at
all...........we never did that to my bunnies and they all grew up to be
big enough that my grandpa took them back and turned them loose.  They
probably got killed anyway...............I always wanted
to keep one as a pet forever.............but my Poppa wouldn't let
me...he said it was cruel.

         Peggy

btw - cats always line up the kill, when they bring it to
you.........they are VERY PROUD and want to show off!
Peggy