[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Rescued Baby Bunny - Need Help!

  • From: "Sarah Bishop" <bliz1998@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:38:50 -0400

Years of pet store experience and people coming in to ask about found baby
bunnies led to many disxcussions with local rehabilitators to get a couple
general guidelines.

If you find a nest leave it alone.  Mom rabbits nurse 2x a day, sunrise and
sunset, then go away so pedators aren't drawn to the nest.

If oyur pet gets a baby and it appears unharmed and you can put it back do
so.  Baby rabbits are fairly fragile, doubly so for wild ones.  Fatal heart
attacks can be triggered by even very mild stress.  Even for the experienced
raising baby wild rabbits doesn't always end well.

Even if it's small if there is no white on it's head it's probably old
enoguh to be alone.  That's one sign our rehabber used to determine age.
Babies have a small mark, adults don't.

My only experience we had a customer bring in 2 babies she'd found and we
were going to send them to the rehabber the next day.  Overnight one jumped
out of the box.  Thumper then lived loose in the store for about a year
until during a remodel one of the construction guys caught him.  We put him
in a cage and made arrangements to get him to the rehabber.  When we got him
there 3 days later she was completely shocked that he was alive after beign
caged that long in a not completly quiet area.  Her best guess was during
the previous year he'd gotten just enoguh used to people that he didn't
freak when he was walked past.

NEat critters when you are able to get that close.

Sarah and James - who's yet to gift me with a baby bunny.

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i?m Initiative now.
It?s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07