[ SHOWGSD-L ] Rescue updates!!

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 05:01:58 -0700 (PDT)

Having been sidelined by a particularly NASTY summer cold (I was
actually waiting to sprout a curly tail...since I recently have taken
on the persona of Ms. Piggy ..... too many apple fritters)...my Rescue
updates have been lagging...my bad. On to doggy info!
For
those who have expressed concern for Dixie (the emaciated GSD who is HW
positive), she has gained nearly 20 pounds received her first
treatment! She is residing peacefully at Angel Ridge, under the
watchful eye of Nancy Shannon. Many thanks to those who donated toward
her care or kept her in their prayers and to Nancy for offering
assistance.

Jasmine has a HOME! This time, sans cats! lol...She
is a wonderful dog and most deserving of a long and loving life. Our
best wishes go with her and her new family.

Freya and Odin are both residing atthe home of  LHSH BOD member, Steve
 Reierstad in Maine.
You
may remember Odin; a Murray County shelter (GA) rescue who came north
full of parasites and in terrible shape. Freya was met in Brattleboro
VT by Steve and is in WORSE condition. Steve was alarmed at the cough
and runny nose
and rushed her directly to the vet. It appears that Freya has pnuemonia
in both lungs, is underweight and is suffering from the effects of
abuse. This dog was obviously sitting in a shelter in seriously ill
conditions with no medical care being offered. It was touch and go
initially, but it appears that she IS responding to the antibiotic
cocktail being adminstered in cheese by a very loving Steve. Both Freya
and Odin will have a long recovery time before they will be ready to
move on to their new homes.
Sheba is a STUNNING older gal who is
being kept primarily crated in a WVA shelter. She has a Rescue
commitment and will be leaving within the next 24 hours where she can
stretch her legs.. Jarnee in NC was able to intercede on behalf of an
ENORMOUS GSD (32"!) who was slated for euth. He is simply STUNNING; his
eyes tell such a sad story. This dog is good with cats and small dogs.
If you know anyone looking for a GREAT and loving dog, please contact
Jarnee at One Shep At A Time. With the cooperation of LHSH volunteers
in Worcester Mass for a home check, Ferne (a 4 month old pup who was
living in the back of a pickup truck) has found her forever home! Chia
(an 8 month old black and red baby girl) is ALSO on her way to a new
life from Canine Pet Rescue in Georgia with assistance from Angel Ridge
and LHSH.
The
GSD who had been determined "aggressive" by the local ACO and even some
K9 officers in NC is now safe in Rescue due to the many concerned
people who took up his cause. Hominy Valley GSD Rescue had contacted us
regarding this dog, but we had some concerns due to the comments by the
ACO. Evidently, this boy was a sable coat and VERY drivey...but NO
aggession whatsoever! He was young and in need of a stable hand...
How
many more GSDs such as this are mislabled by ACO's without experience
and never given a chance? We may never know...lesson learned.
question has been raised that I feel needs to be addressed. While
LHSH's yahoo group may have people crossposting OTHER breeds and their
needs, please rest assured that we make EVERY effort to assist ONLY
purebred GSDs via pictures and descriptions from those who are at the
shelters.  We do work closely with all breed as well as breed specific
rescues in the placement of GSDs in need which is why you may find some
posting on our Yahoogroup. We appreciate the consistent outpouring from
those in the GSD world and would never knowingly violate that trust!
LHSH will be doing an educational table at the Cape Cod Kennel club show on
Sat/Sun,
9/12 and 9/13. If you are there, please stop by and say Hello!!
As
always, LHSH extends our deepest appreciation to those on this list for
their steadfast support of this breed that we love. Your donations are
directly responsible for the lives mentioned above...we could not have
done it without you!
The Team From Last Hope, Safe Haven Inc.

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.
Last Hope, Safe Haven
Donations may be made to:
Paypal via windwych@xxxxxxxxx