[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Questions about procedure/veterans - ???

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:45:31 -0500

Now I am afraid to speak, Ileana!!!
       First...the dogs are not competing for Select...they are
competing for Best of Breed.  The Select award, which other breeds call
a Judges' Award of Merit, or just an Award of Merit, is "gravy."
There's no AKC definition for that.
       As for the other part of your question, I don't understand what
you mean by 2 classes X 2 sexes........????
The dogs eligible to compete for Best of Breed are:  Entered specials
(and move-ups if they were moved up in a timely manner), WD, WB, and
usually, the winners of the Veterans classes (however many there are)
and any other non-regular class, such as the Conditiional Class.

    Selects are awarded AFTER GV and GVX ..and after the GV and GVX have
been selected, only those two compete for Breed........they  are already
designated as the best dog and best bitch on the grounds......everybody
else can go home.

Peggy