[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question # 9*

  • From: "Virginia" <v_cleary117@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 20:43:18 -0400

First, none of my dogs, in any breed, has ever had a problem distinguishing the
difference in the rings. Different leashes, different collars, and different
commands. Our dogs are very SMART animals. Smarter than some of their
handlers, LOL!

I don’t know that there ever was a “change”. I got “into dogs” back in the
early 70s. Even back then I was told I should never train my “show” dog in
obedience as I would ruin the dog for the ring. Nobody could ever explain to me
what that was. And, by the way I started in Irish Setters/Golden Retrievers.
The first real conformation dog I ever showed was an Afghan Hound and Kuvasz.

Ginger Cleary

Rome, GA

gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

That's great! Thank you for sharing your experience. Why do you think the
change occurred that dogs can't or shouldn't do both at the same time? Breeders
I have spoken too feel they must wait until after their dog finishes to start
obedience.

Did you find a major conflict when you did both or did the dog distinguish the
rings? Did their performance suffer in the conformation ring as a result of the
obedience?

Thank you,

Sarah

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 8, 2015, at 10:16 PM, Virginia <v_cleary117@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What is “back in the day”? A bit over 10 years ago, when I still lived in AZ
and still had GSDs, I had two, Max and Diedre that I showed in both obedience
and conformation at the same shows. More than once at local specialties they
held up an obedience class because Max was still showing in conformation J

Ginger Cleary

Rome, GA

---