[ SHOWGSD-L ] Question # 9

  • From: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: "<showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2015 13:03:21 -0400

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx
Date: August 8, 2015 at 12:57:57 PM EDT
To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Question # 9

Evan, this is just my two cents....I respect your opinion!! Please, please do
not get offended....

But, I think it should never be about what "we" want to do. We have to
remember that we have a breed standard to uphold and the German shepherd is
and has always been a WORKING breed. Our breed standard is universally
across the world. There is no doubt in my mind that there are Conformation
dogs that could step into the Sieger shows and compete! For example, I
think that dog Kobe would do great!

The breed founder said:

"Take this trouble for me: Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog,
for I have struggled all my life long for that aim.” Captain Max von
Stephanitz, 1864-1936

"The breeding of Shepherd dogs must be the breeding of working dogs, this
must always be the aim or we shall cease to produce working dogs.” Max von
Stephanitz, who had always advocated utility over beauty, eventually resigned
from the club.

"Work is an indispensable necessity for the shepherd dog." Max von Stephanitz

Thus, whether it is our "preferred area of fun" for our shepherds, I feel we
have an obligation to work out dogs to uphold breed type and standard. The
people who ask why conformation dogs need a performance award but not the
other way around.....probably performance people would answer because we are
upholding the original purpose of the breed! However, I agree with them 100%
that the working dog must also have type, beauty, and proper motion.

The ability to shine in the conformation ring and work is what makes a
shepherd a shepherd...the versatility! Some people can say I am going to only
breed silver and black shepherds or whatever. But, being a breeder, to me,
is not about breeding what we like. It is about upholding the standard. For
me, I consider "work" not just IPO like some breeders but herding,
obedience, advanced rally, agility, tracking, nosework, search and rescue,
service dogs, etc.

I know I have talked to older breeders Nd they said that back in the day
their dogs would go right from the conformation ring to the obedience ring! I
do not know at what point that changed but maybe someone can chime in.....

I feel it is only right that our top conformation dogs hold a performance
title. They are representing the best in our breed standard.

And....they are shepherds! Like you said, of course, they could easily do it
if their humans allowed it! Like I said...the enemy is us!!! The cool thing
about obedience, BH, and tracking training is it is free! ***smile***

I think that dog Champion dog Kobe has the CD and TC. I don't know what time
and effort it took his owner. It would be helpful if they shared that
information! :-)

Respectfully,
Sarah