[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Question

  • From: "Beryl Eshom" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <PAGAIRS@xxxxxxx>, <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:42:32 -0800

Patty is correct about the PRAA.

Many years ago I had a female pup who was not thrifty. I thought perhaps I
had my first esophagus problem. I took her to a local vet, who really didn't
or couldn't diagnosis. I took her to another vet who I knew had a great
reputation in the Santa Rosa area.

He did a barium swallow x-ray and diagnosed the Persistent Right Aortic
Arch. I was ready to put her down. The Vet asked that I not do that. He told
me that he had a theory, and most often Vets do not have the chance to test
their theories. He asked if he could perform an operation on her as an
educational tool. I would only be charged for antheisia and the daily fee
for her  hospitalization., he would donate his time and all other expected
costs in the interest of possibly learning from this.
I agreed to do this. That particular litter was a musical comedy theme, a
litter of 6 all females. She became Arelee's Unsinkable Molly Brown. She was
indeed unsinkable, thanks to a Vet who was interested and willing to try to
give her a normal life.

His theory and experimental surgery worked. When we brought her home she
looked like a hairless GS puppy who had been sawed in half. Caring for her
was time consuming, but I did the best I could. Gradually she was able to
eat normally with no problems, and she remained that way the rest of her
life
.
When she was completely recovered I sold her to a young man. He knew there
may be risks involved as far as longevity or health. He wanted to take that
risk, and of course she was sold at a lower price, because of the possible
risk.

As she grew and gained strength, it was obvious she was going to be okay.He
trained her in obedience. She earned her CD and lived beyond 10 years of
age.

He would bring her to see me often. Molly always greeted me in a very
special way. I think she new that my decision to "try" gave her the best
life any dog could possibly ask for. I am sure she never forgot the time I
spent with her during the recuperation period.

Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA.