[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Prong collars/ Laura/ WHY?

  • From: "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l digest users" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 12:27:54 -0700

Mike,

Here's my reasons for not liking prong collars.  I find them totally
unnecessary to stop a dog from pulling.  I have taught obedience classes for
over 30 years and have never fitted one in any of my classes, nor have I
allowed them.  I have had large dogs, small dogs, hard dogs, soft dogs.  For an
owner that wants to be able to walk a dog now, without pulling, I now suggest
either a halti or a front hook harness.  Some dogs really dislike the halti, so
the front hook harness works better for them.  By a front hook harness, I mean
any harness that has a ring on the dog's chest.  The leash is attached to that
ring instead of the ring in the back.  When the dog pulls, the leash will pull
him sideways and he quickly stops pulling.

If there is an aggression issue for the dog, then my tool of choice is a halti
on a leash no longer than 6 feet.  The properly fitted halti will not cause
issues with the dog and on a six foot leash, he cannot get up enough steam to
cause his neck harm from it.  Yet, when the dog lunges, the first thing the
halti does is to close the dog's mouth.  Taking away his tools for aggression (
his teeth).  The second thing it does is turn the dog's head back toward the
owner.  With the head facing backwards, the dog will not continue going
forward.  Now it also does take some instruction to the handler so that they
don't continue to give the dog more leash.

A prong collar on an aggressive dog will make him more aggressive.  When he is
focused on something or someone ahead and hits that collar and feels the pain,
he associates it with what he is focusing on, not the collar.  Most dog
aggression is fear (the theory that the best defense is a good offense) and
with the pain from the prong, the dog is more convinced than ever that the
thing he thought was going to get him did get him and he needs to be quicker
and more aggressive the next time to stop it.

I know a lot of people love their prong collars.  I wish they were all melted
down.

Sue Mazzeo

From: "BlackHawk Farms LLC" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Prong collars/ Laura/ WHY?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:49:09 -0700
I do have a question, and I am not tryng to stir up a hornets nest or
anything, but why do you feel a pinch collar is wrong? is it the image, is
it the stigma, while I do respect your right to disagree, I would like to
know why people are anti prong collars.
I do realize that not everything works for Every dog, and you would find me
hard pressed to use, lets say, a shock collar on an animal, but if it was
the only thing which gave me results and used properly, I cannot dismiss the
fact it may be a useful tool.

It was like when I rode, I had a beautiful western pleasure saddlebred mare
name dream. I rode her in a large port bit that kept her mouth soft, wet and
slobbery, she was happiest when she could roll the cricket around with her
tongue. Never had to tie her tongue down. Now, Most people would say, Thats
a scary looking bit, and yes, in most hands, it is very harsh, but I never
even had to neck rein her, I to "step down" in my stirup and she knew which
way to go. When I wanted her to stop, I would sit back and say "ho"....  So
im thinking if shes this responsive with that much bit in her mouth, I
shoudl easily be able to go to an eggbutt snaffle and get the same result.
NO WAY. seems her first trainer tried to set her head in a mild snaffle bit
and she would all but spit it out at you or carry it in her teeth and become
hard mouth. Snaffle versus my 8" shanked 4" high port mouth curb... go
figure.

Mike

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of
the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure
is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.