[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Prong collars/ Laura/ WHY?

  • From: "BlackHawk Farms LLC" <blackhawkfarmsllc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wernersommers@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:49:09 -0700

I do have a question, and I am not tryng to stir up a hornets nest or
anything, but why do you feel a pinch collar is wrong? is it the image, is
it the stigma, while I do respect your right to disagree, I would like to
know why people are anti prong collars.
I do realize that not everything works for Every dog, and you would find me
hard pressed to use, lets say, a shock collar on an animal, but if it was
the only thing which gave me results and used properly, I cannot dismiss the
fact it may be a useful tool.

It was like when I rode, I had a beautiful western pleasure saddlebred mare
name dream. I rode her in a large port bit that kept her mouth soft, wet and
slobbery, she was happiest when she could roll the cricket around with her
tongue. Never had to tie her tongue down. Now, Most people would say, Thats
a scary looking bit, and yes, in most hands, it is very harsh, but I never
even had to neck rein her, I to "step down" in my stirup and she knew which
way to go. When I wanted her to stop, I would sit back and say "ho"....  So
im thinking if shes this responsive with that much bit in her mouth, I
shoudl easily be able to go to an eggbutt snaffle and get the same result.
NO WAY. seems her first trainer tried to set her head in a mild snaffle bit
and she would all but spit it out at you or carry it in her teeth and become
hard mouth. Snaffle versus my 8" shanked 4" high port mouth curb... go
figure.

Mike