[ SHOWGSD-L ] Observances

  • From: "David Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Linda Terry'" <jolisgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 09:32:58 -0700

HI Linda….

I’ve had conformation dogs that I would not try to do performance with
because of many thing, but not because of structure. That is, I’ve had
headstrong dogs who wanted to do things there way and did not obey well. They
knew the ring and loved to win, but pretty much told their handlers how they
should be handled. I will not mention names but many will remember  what
happened when someone was ahead of ?????  <grin> Did not play well with others
unless they were behind her. Probably not an obedience dog.

But as for the structure being an impediment, I can’t conceive of that.
Watching The Boss herding was a sight to behold. Turning? On a dime! In the
obedience ring, I cannot tell you from experience since we’ve never done
obedience with our conformation dogs. Wish we had the time and the patience.
But in herding and other sports where the dog is attempting to stay ahead of
the herd or directing them, or going through a course, I would think that the
easy speed would be an advantage rather than an impediment.

Just my observations.

Dave

--------------------------

I loved this post and the explanation of transmission of power.

I do have a question, though, and it is primarily directed towards those
breeders who show in both the conformation and performance rings (particularly
obedience because that is what I am more used to).  I have had a beautifully
moving dog (CH Snowyrivers Adirondack Joe) who could cross my living room floor
in three strides.  I've also had a couple of dogs who could not cover the
maximum amount of ground with the least number of steps, but they excelled in
the obedience and rally rings.  I never tried my boy in obedience, but I'm not
sure he could have made those tight turns, etc. as readily as did my obedience
dogs.  What has been everyone's experience with very angulated dogs in
performance?  (And please do not flame -- I love good angulation and will
continue to try to produce it.  Just asking.)

Linda Terry

---
is active.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html