[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Observances

  • From: Bedkar <bedkar@xxxxx>
  • To: d fritsche <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 18:06:57 -0400 (EDT)

Dave, I think the problem is that "hock walking" has become sort
of a catch all phrase.....to most people (other than GSD folks)
, ALL GSD "hock walk" because of the acute angulation.  They really do
not watch the joints and how they function, or where the feet end up at the
finish of reach and drive.
There is a large number of GSD now with fixed or locked hocks...
the opening and closing of the hock joint is minimal and they
literally do walk (and stand)on their hccks.  For maxium power,
all of the joints (hip, stifle and hock) must have full range of
motion. If the foot can not extend past the rear edge of the hock,
then the movement and the power is marginalized.
So, even if an animal has a correct fore assembly, a mismatched
rear assembly will affect foot timing, stable toplines and a
fluid forward motion.
Hocks that are limited or fixed (sickle hocks, in some breeds) are
not functional and are associated with injury and fatigue.
Unfortunately, these dogs are frequently rewarded in ring.
This is not to be confused with the dog that can reach under itself
with the hock literally being flat on the ground; it is the ability
of the hock to extend on the final portion of the stroke (the finish) that makes
the difference.

So...in my opinion, there are hock walkers and they are angulated, it's
just not functional angulation.  It's all about the flexibility.