[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Obedience and conformation

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx, sabokat2@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 00:46:25 -0500 (EST)

What Lyn said  :)

In a message dated 11/22/2012 6:23:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Training  is training regardless of what ring you show in. The key is
consistency, if  you use heel to mean walk at your side, then always use that
word, if you use  "let's go to mean hit the end of a lead and pull then always
use it and inform  your handlers of the command. As for collars, there are
all types. Preference  falls into play here as well as "complete knowledge"
in how to use each type.  A pinch collar is only as evil or mean as the
person at the other end of the  lead. If you don't know how to properly fit and
use any collar, ask a trainer.  A pinch collar distributes the tension evenly
around the dogs neck using less  pressure then a choke collar which only
places the tension at the opposite  side of the ring attached to the leash.
You will hear more dogs choke/cough  from a choke collar correction then you
will from a pinch collar.
I have  seen numerous replies from people advocating that a GSD is
intelligent enough  to know the difference, which I believe and have done with
my
own dogs, yet I  have not seen one reply stating the old adage ...do not teach
your dog to heel  or sit if you want to show in conformation and I am sure
there are plenty out  there. I will agree that it is easier to allow your
puppy to get in the habit  of pulling while on leash since that's what they do
untrained, then you need  to get that pulling under control so that the dog
learns to take corners and  stay to the outside. That shouldn't take
several years! Your dog will never  forget how to pull, so get to an obedience
class and start training the dog to  heel. You will both be happier for it.

Lyn Chernak ~ CherLyn  Shepherds
AKC Breeder of  Merit

http://www.cherlynshepherds.com
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13  Club ~ Membership
CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC,  CGC
Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, CD, RA, TC, CGC