[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA question....Breeders Code

  • From: Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 13:35:48 EDT

I think you did answer your own question, Cindy.   Look harder at the
pedigree, you will find the answers.   If you have a bitch (or that matter, a
stud)
who has a decent x-ray, but can't get a "number", and you've checked his
pedigree and found solid good OFA numbers all around, then the chances are your
litters will be free.   On the other hand, a Perfect Stud or Bitch who has an
OFA
# but the pedigree is lacking in good numbers and the information on
littermates isn't that good throughout the pedigree... Well, THAT dog probably
has less
of a chance of producing good hips/elbows...don't you think?
Stormy
In a message dated 8/5/07 10:03:55 AM, cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>   I'm not trying to start a fight.  Because right now I just can't wrap my
> mind around the idea that it is in the best interest of the breed to breed
> dogs that have not passed OFA.  I know some small breeders locally that have
> taken serious hits to their breeding programs because they will not breed a
> dog
> that couldn't pass OFA.  I find that very admirable, but maybe I"m just
> missing something here.

~~~~~~~~
Stormy Hope
California Federation of Dog Clubs