[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA question....Breeders Code

  • From: Kris Kudel <vomkristallaugen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, Norma Ramey <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 15:10:09 -0500 (CDT)

=====================
From: Norma Ramey <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
Date: 2007/08/05 Sun PM 02:34:25 CDT
To: Elsyd1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA question....Breeders Code

This is quite true!! Syd knows her stuff and her words are very TRUE!
I know also of dogs who've NOT   OFA'd BUT PRODUCED OFA
EXCELLENT RATINGS    I also know of dogs who were prelimed and
AT TWO WERE CERTIFIED GOOD!   Honest, hip and elbow stuff is
NOT totally inherited --- but then, chances are taken anyway, it's odd!
Norma no L

My 3.5 yr old Siberian Husky has mild HD, she is a pet and was spayed way
before we knew anything was wrong.

Her sire is Cert OFA EXCELLENT...her Dam Cert OFA Good.  Could it have been the
slip on the ice 2 yrs ago in the yard.......yes I believe so.    I'm not saying
OFA good or higher doesn't broaden your chances for the pups not having HD.
But I will never know if it was indeed the injury or genetic.  My guess is the
injury.

Anything can happen within two years, and I do believe in OFA'ing the breeding
stock, but there are also environmental factors that are most of the time
beyond our control.

The German "a" stamp is done at 1 year of age.  Would they OFA good at 24
months? who knows?

Just my thoughts

Kris Kudel
Kamelot