[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: OFA question....Breeders Code

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2007 14:24:30 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks to those that responded on the list and privately.

  I agree that a dog that can't pass OFA and has a sound OFA pedigree could
very well be a fluke, just like bloat is often environmental, so can hip
dysplasia be.  I know of one case personally where a dog had good prelims then
could not pass OFA after she slipped on ice and fractured her pelvis.  Injury
related or genetic...who knows.

  What I am concerned about, is dogs from certain lines that often do not have
the numbers behind the names in their pedigrees (including the up and coming
stars).  They can't all be injuries, incompetant OFA vets or flukes.

  I'd like to see some different language in the Breeders code that identifies
exceptions to the OFA standards.  I also do not feel that breeding bitches on
back to back heat cycles should be part of the code and should be left of to
the breeders and their situations.  The Code of Ethics should address this
issue anyway since the breeders that would do it regularly would be commercial
breeders/puppy mills.

  Bottomline is, either sign it or don't sign it, have it re-signed annually,
and instead of worrying about punishing those that don't sign, why not reward
those that do (similar to the Select Excellent Awards).  I think it would be
more difficult to be successful if you follow the Breeders Code and you should
be recognized for that.

  As it is, I can sign it now...but I have bred to a dog that was only
prelimmed because of his age....so in past years maybe not.

  Cindy

  Stormy435@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I think you did answer your own question, Cindy.  Look harder at the
pedigree, you will find the answers.  If you have a bitch (or that matter, a
stud) who has a decent x-ray, but can't get a "number", and you've checked his
pedigree and found solid good OFA numbers all around, then the chances are your
litters will be free.  On the other hand, a Perfect Stud or Bitch who has an
OFA # but the pedigree is lacking in good numbers and the information on
littermates isn't that good throughout the pedigree... Well, THAT dog probably
has less of a chance of producing good hips/elbows...don't you think?
Stormy
In a message dated 8/5/07 10:03:55 AM, cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx writes:

    I'm not trying to start a fight.  Because right now I just can't wrap my
mind around the idea that it is in the best interest of the breed to breed dogs
that have not passed OFA.  I know some small breeders locally that have taken
serious hits to their breeding programs because they will not breed a dog that
couldn't pass OFA.  I find that very admirable, but maybe I"m just missing
something here.

~~~~~~~~
Stormy Hope
California Federation of Dog Clubs