[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need Some Help Re: Movement/ floating v. driving

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:57:36 EST

In a message dated 11/15/2006 12:55:43 PM Central Standard Time,
jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Perhaps "floating" is not a good term
"Floating" is not suspension. In fact, I would say that floating describes an
upward drive more than it does a forward drive.  There is nothing efficient
about a dog's drive if it is pushing him upward.  The natural slight lift that
carries the forequarter comes from a powerful, forward pushing rear drive.
The dog's structure, if it is correct, is all that is needed to create that
reaction.  GSDs have a high wither for that reason.
Think about this ... A dog will move at a slow speed when walking (no
suspension yet).  If you increase speed, the steps naturally extend. (Still no
need
for suspension.)  At some point, when reach is at its maximum physical limit,
suspension is required for the dog to cover more ground with each step, thereby
increasing speed without the need to waste energy and move the limbs even
faster.  I know this is sounding technical, but bear with me.  If a dog appears
to suspend at a very slow speed, something is not right.  His structure cannot
be correct because his motion is driving him upward instead of forward.  It is
easy to be fooled.  I will not name names, but I once knew a dog that really
appeared to float.  Some people were absolutely in awe of his suspension.
When the other dogs were still at a walk, this dog was floating.  He had a
steep
croup, completely locked hocks, and a short upper arm.  All of this, combined
with his small size, created upward drive both from his rear and his front.

I have always been one of the most adamant about judging dogs on a loose
lead.  For the most part, judges believe they have taken that important
directive
on.  However, too many judges demand "slow," and are satisfied with the lead
flopping once in the middle of the pass.  Some judges even appear to mistake
slow for a loose lead, when in fact the dog is dragging the handler like a
sled.
 This breed needs to be viewed at three speeds .... Slow, medium and fast ...
always on a loose lead. While it may be true that exaggerated speeds are not
necessary in herding, we aren't judging herding in the conformation ring.  We
are judging structure.  A correctly structured dog can move slow, medium, and
fast, and do so without expending unnecessary energy in the process.  We call
those dogs "great movers."

Tom Langlitz