[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NJ lawmakers look to save Congo

  • From: Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsdramey@xxxxxxx, skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 10:25:44 -0800 (PST)

Back when I got the rabies shots - here was the drill:
  Dogs are only contageous during the short period of time shortly before
showing definite signs of nervous system problems. Therefor the 10 day
quarantine. Rabies can have a long incubation period, but during that time you
will not get the virus from a dog bite.

  The best test is quarantine, 2nd best is testing the dog's brain (sorry dog,
but you need to die for this --) If the dog goes through the quarantine without
sign of probem, you will not get rabies and will not need to get the post
exposure shots.

  Now, if you had a good attorney who wanted to milk sympathy, you would have
the post exposure series anyway (doubt if you will have trouble getting a
doctor to go along) and put out the "my client had to undergo the dreaded
rabies treatment" press release. People hear rabies treatment and immediately
think of lots of shots in the stomach and pain and suffering. Who cares that
today's treatments are not a big deal (mine was not).

  Now if you were an insurance company who did not want to hear about any of
this, you would settle for $250,000 and just up the owner's insurance,
especially if he had lots of coverage.

  Has little to do with actual danger or responsibility or sensibility. Oh and
the dog -- well, he is just a casualty of all this.
  Ruth
Norma Ramey <gsdramey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  ??? -- Please help me here! I am from the old school and have had dog
bites etc. off and on all my life.
Not sure, but I thought the human did NOT get any kind of "rabies shots"
unless, during the 10 day periiod
the animal showed signs of the ailment!