[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My take on Temp Test @ Futurities

  • From: Lyn Chernak <cherlyngsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx, tanksr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 18:08:52 -0700 (PDT)

I think it is agreed that entries are not down because of the observers. I also
feel that judges will conduct the loose lead examine as closely to the
description of procedure, but in the end they will put up what they want to put
up. Are some dogs excused? Yes. Are some put to the end of the ring? Yes And
are
some rewarded? Definitely. We have all seen this happen.

The loose lead examine came about because there was a problem with temperament,
or should I say that dogs were being put up with temperament that was not
desireable. If there was no problem, there would not have been a need for this
examine. When it was first introduced it was done at the F/M because they are a
match. Then it was added to the National. AKC liked it and started to encourage
its use at shows but it was up to the judge to use it or not.

As for the test itself, there is a big difference between a handler stacking
and
holding the dog so a judge can go over it or running the dog into the judge on
the down and back to get that initial contact, then to have the dog standing
alone away from the handler and the judge approach the dog and pet it.

If the dog is not being doubled, that dog will at least look at the approaching
person and then do one of three things; advance forward to greet them or check
them out, stand there and observe, or move away and try to avoid. Not a very
hard test if the dog is sound.

One of the questions on the report asks if the observer saw any shy dogs and if
yes, did they place. IMO any dog that avoids the approaching judge is shy or
any
dog that slouches and has its tail tucked is shy. Training and socializing can
change the behavior / reactions of the dog but it will not change the
temperament of the dog.

As to why entries are down ... not because of the observer. Maybe because of
the
high price of gas and the other expenses that go along with showing in
conformation,but then again entries were dropping before gas prices were rising
so there must be other reasons.

Lyn Chernak

Lyn Chernak
CherLyn Shepherds - Updated June 06,2010

http://www.cherlynshepherds.com
Three Generations ~ GSDCA 13 Club ~ Membership
   CherLyn's Dixie, BH, CDX, RAE, TC, HIC, CGC
  Ulric vom Kriegerhaus, RN, TC, CGC