[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: My take on Temp Test @ Futurities

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: caggra@xxxxxxx, VPREZHMF@xxxxxxx, tanksr@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:06:35 EDT

Jeff, we were speaking about F/M globally, I didn't single out specific
dogs/shows/judges, but I've certainly been to my share of F/M, Specialties and
 All Breed shows and I've seen my share of nuts, spooky-dooks, bad actors,
whack  jobs etc.   I see more of that at the F/M Specialties early in the
season BTW, which to me indicates there may be need for improvement in the
socialization area...just sayin'. OR the dogs just really do need to come
equipped w/ their own butterfly net and consequently they never come out
again and have a chance to embarrass their people...God help us in the case of
bitches they go directly to the breeding pool!

You may have noticed the large entry at my club, Del. Valley a few weekends
 back preceding the F/M.  We had many lovely dogs, a few that were unsure
and a very few that were bad actors.  I thought our judges did a lovely job
administering a correct test.  I assure you it was no burden to the judges
or the club.  Why all the fuss?????

Of course in any venue some can slide by and I'm not happy when they  do.
I'm certainly not going to criticize a program that tries to prevent  it.
Sorry you feel it creates an unnatural situation.  I suppose some  judges
administer a test poorly. The program that includes contracts and  observers
(F/M Nationals etc.) tries to correct/prevent that.

BTW as an exhibitor, in the breed and performance arenas I've always  felt
I can train a dog easier that I can predict what a particular judge will do
on any certain day, so I socialize the heck out of mine. In Obedience we
call  that "proofing".  I can't imagine paying entrees/ handling fees etc. on
a  dog I didn't consider to be rock solid.

But as far as a loose lead temperament test program, maybe you have a
better idea?  I'm all for ideas...

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

In a message dated 5/4/2011 10:37:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
caggra@xxxxxxx writes:

Kathy,

I think your response and verbiage of "whack jobs" is unfair,  unwarrented,
incorrect, and plain old ignorant considering you weren't  there.   Have
you met even one of the dogs excused or  affected?
I seriously doubt you have.

As far as you not entering Futurities.  Do you not  enter AKC all breed
shows or specialty  shows?  Nationals?   Dogs in any of those rings have  slid
by here or there, being put up even when acting bad.  I witnessed  this a
few weeks ago at a big specialty.    So what is the  difference Kathy?    I am
all for good solid temperment  testing, but it's how it's packaged.

Jeff

From: _Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx)