[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mixed Breeds

  • From: Karen M. Carloni <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:46:58 -0400

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:13:45 -0400, "Peggy"
<pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Gee, where do you live? There are lots of obedience clubs in
>my part of the country, and they all have obedience trials that
>have nothing to do with conformation shows.

In case you missed them, the "rules" for Mixed Breed
events are as follows:

>       1. AKC clubs will have the ***option*** to hold mixed breed classes
>       for Agility, Obedience, or Rally events. Those clubs ***electing***
>       to hold mixed breed classes will offer the same classes for mixed
>       breed dogs and purebred dogs.
>
>       2. Mixed Breed classes can ***only*** be held at standalone AKC Agility,
>       Obedience, and Rally Events. The class ***could not be offered***
>       at All Breed Shows, Group Shows, or independent specialties, even
>       if Agility, Obedience, or Rally events are being held.
>
>       a. The definition of standalone AKC Companion event is an
>       AKC Agility, Obedience, or Rally event that is
>       ***not held on the same date AND show site***
>       as an AKC all-breed show or independent specialty.

The (***) emphasis above are mine to illustrate the fact
that clubs are apparently not going to be REQUIRED to hold
Mixed Breed classes. This fact, just by itself, is going
to seriously limit the numbers of shows and events that
will be open to mixed breeds.

That said, since I was challenged <G>, I took up my copy
of the March 2009 Gazette and started circling all the
events that applied under the rules shown above and that
were being held within about a 9-hour drive of me. (I'm in
southern New England, btw.) Not that I would ever drive 9
hours to a dog show - because I would NOT (but I know that
some would) - I looked for all shows being held in all of
the New England states plus all of New York and New
Jersey. Then I double-checked my work at akc.org.

There were a few minor discrepancies. Some show dates that
appear in the March Gazette have already passed and are no
longer listed at the AKC web site. And some are listed on
the web site that do not appear in the Gazette. Also, the
"mouse type" in the magazine made me very dizzy after
awhile, so some of this count might be a bit off.

Automatically throwing away any show where conformation
is being held on the same day and at the same venue, and
ignoring all Specialties and Group shows, here's what I
came up with for April, May and part of June:

AKC Agility:    71 events
Obedience:      13 events
Rally:          11 events

Okay.... This is pretty great if you like Agility; not so
much for the competition obedience and rally fanatics.
Many (most?) of the obedience and rally events in this
area are held in conjunction with an all-breed or
specialty show. So no, there really aren't a lot of
opportunities to compete at shows where conformation
is not also held. In this lousy economy with so many clubs
in trouble as it is, I really don't see that changing for
the better anytime soon.

>Also, it may be a stupid decision, but it has nothing to do with the all
>breed folks not wanting cooties...it has to do with money, plain
>and simple.

My opinion only, Peggy. I think I'm entitled.  ;)

I have seen the "attitude" on the part of *some*
(certainly not all) show people with my own eyes...
remember... I used to have White Shepherds! I've even
seen some of it at my own club's specialty (which shall
remain nameless) last year where the "breed" people stayed
over in their own area and never, ever bothered to come
over and say hello to any of the obedience competitors -
let alone watch any of the competition. Say what you will,
but I found that to be rather pitiful!  :/

If it's all about money, then why is AKC being so damned
slow and selective about registering (or even "listing")
the rare breeds?? And of those rare breeds who have made
it into the FSS program so far, why are ALL of them still
not able to compete in companion and performance events???

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx