[ SHOWGSD-L ] Look-alike Shepherds

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 11:39:38 EST

In a message dated 11/25/06 7:45:11 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
For  everyone who says German Shepherds cannot be a 'cookie cutter' breed I
say,  visit the Seiger Show and look at the breed in their country of  origin!

I don't think anyone says they can't be, what seems clear to me, (shut up
Paul) is that we don't want them to be. Americans seem to want difference, but
still obtain quality. Our standard leaves room for some variations, such as
height, being between two numbers, nor on a certain number.  We, in our  sport
allow color variations, and styles.  The country of origin has always  taken a
different approach in all matters.

I am not so sure that I want every one of our dogs to look the same.   When
Ed did bitches last, you could have taken one picture and placed it for  each
one.  He decided to use "type" as part of his judging, and that was  his
decision.  Other judges have done it differently, but maintained a high
standard.

I have always enjoyed the fact that we have top quality dogs and bitches
that may appear different in type, and yet still match our standard.

A few years back, the SV wrote to the GSDCA and demanded we  use their
standard, or we would no longer be able to call our dogs German Shepherds.   I
was
on the board when that letter was read, and there was a well justified  outcry
from the board.  A response seemed to quell that demand, and since  then we
have continued to improve our breed, as has Germany.

We are not a nation that follows blindly a strong leader, and we based our
government on that idea. As a dog club we embrace differences, and strive for
perfection.

Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/