[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Look at it from another angle.

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx, jkerner@xxxxxxxxx, dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:35:59 -0400

Where do those sad dogs come from?  We know that a very small percentage are
purebreds.  We know that many are unadoptable or sick.  We know also that
some are owner surrenders due to moving, new baby, whatever.  We also know
that many of these dogs in shelters are due to humans that don't care about
their animals.  They don't train them, let them run loose, don't S/N them and
are sometimes criminals themselves.  If you think the shelters are bad, try
being on patrol in South Central L.A.  I can't tell you how many pups/dogs we
have taken off the streets and into our homes.

As to the supply/demand issue.  If there were no more AKC purebred dogs
available, people will get their pets from where they can find them.  The
criminals will make this a business, just as drugs and prostitution are a
business.  Buying a dog will go underground and the only pets available will
be from puppy millers, pet stores, volume breeders and gangsters.  Quality,
health and temperament will no longer exist.  You will get an "As Is" pup.
If there is a shelter problem now, just think of the poor "As Is" dogs/cats
that will be turned in.

Are we as breeders responsible for shelter animals?  Yes, some are.  They are
the volume breeders.  I found a Lab breeder in Riverside who had 7 litters of
pups available for Christmas deliveries last year.  I found them because one
of my co-workers bought a pup from them.  These folks do NO
show/performance/working things with their dogs.  They are just
breeders. They are legal in all respects of current laws.  So, I guess that
is where we will get our future dogs.

Laura Thomas

P.S.  This pup is already having hip problems.  I told them to get him
x-rayed but haven't heard back yet.  Talk about steps backward.