[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Linebreed and Inbreeding on Stud Dogs

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 14:41:10 -0500

Ok, I am a newbie.  I have only been breeding GSD's for 5yrs.  I bred Labs
for 13yrs before that.  Here is my experience.  Labs did not turn out so
well.  I did a few line breedings and some outcrosses.  I still got HD and
cancer.  The outcrosses didn't fare any better than the line breedings.
GSD's have been a bit different.  I did one line breeding.  The pups were
nice and one got wood at her futurity.  However, Mom developed EPI.  I spayed
all the pups.  I did an outcross (German girl) with the same stud dog and then
bred a daughter back into American lines.  These pups are awesome.  Of 6
pups, I have 2 that will be in the ring.  I didn't expect the quality I got
from this generation and thought I would be delayed a few more years.  Here is
what has impressed me about this litter.  The temperament is to die for.  One
pup, Cheyenne, is going to be a service dog for an autistic boy.  ALL
the pups are social and sound.  Another pup is in a home with a 4yr old and a
baby on the way.  He is a constant companion and sleeps with the 4yr old at
night.  I believe health will be an asset as well.  The pups have been happy.
healthy and robust since birth.  Their parents and grandparents also have
longevity.  That said, I don't disagree with line breeding but do have an
issue with inbreeding.  But, one needs to know the dogs and the possible
health problems and
 have some long term experience before making the decision to do such.  I
don't have that so I choose to err on the side of caution.  JMHO
Laura