[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: It is not brain surgery

  • From: James Barnhart <jim_barnhart@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 14:11:34 -0700

While this the ideal temperament according to the standard I believe
from experience that we need to have a broader perspective.   I have
found that most important aspect of GSD temperament is a unique
ability of intelligent discernment as to the situation the dog faces.
I have had dogs that are friendly to a stranger because they know the
person to be of no harm to themselves or their owner and have learned
to like people.  I have seen that same dog sensing possible danger
change into an animal ready to give it's life for you if need be.
Penalizing a well socialized dog for being friendly on the loose lead
temperament test when perhaps it has gone through this procedure a
number of times is wrong.  Jim