[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: When you really think you know your dog...

  • From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 14:53:37 -0700

My husband likes to sit out in front of the house & read with our four year
old GSD, Koda. Koda has a typical GSD temperament (my opinion). When I walk
Koda every day I pass this house often where this older man, Ron who just
loves dogs -- especially Koda. If Ron's in his front yard we'll stop to
visit. We have done this often. No matter how many times I've stopped to say
hello, Koda will always be aloof with Ron, but then eventually warms up
like, "Yes, I remember you." And we meet many people while walking with no
issues so far. People with canes, walkers, dogs, horse's, kids, bikes, you
name it. Koda has been & still's in training/trials/shown. I would say, most
of the time we find Koda to be a friendly type of soul but an excellent
watch dog as well as he matured. And once company is in our house & I say
it's okay he's very happy to meet people. So I few days ago my husband is
sitting out by the garage with Koda. My husband had just had hernia surgery
& was not feeling well if this has anything to do with what was about to
happen? Ron see's my husband & Koda & stops his vehicle to say hello. When
Ron starts to walk up the driveway he was limping slightly my husband told
me later (walking a bit different than the usual person?). I wasn't home
when this happened. Koda suddenly did a low rumble as Ron got closer. Ron
said, "Hi Koda!" And within a second of that Koda went ballistic at the end
of his leash & wouldn't let Ron get any closer. My husband said, he had
never seen Koda that serious ever! And would not let Ron take another step.
It might have had something to do in how my husband felt at that time maybe.
Koda has seen Ron many times before. And just when you think you know your
dog they can surprise you like this. That's something our trainer has always
reminded her class, "Never take your eyes off of your dog for one second."
Another interesting thing she also tells us, "If you think it will happen --
it will!" Kathy Partch "JoKay's"