[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: In response to Tom L's post

  • From: Tigra12@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:04:34 EST

Ok, I don't want to start an argument about this, so lets keep it as civil as
possible.  Please?  I keep hearing the word extreme being thrown around.
Please explain to me why having an extreme dog is so grand?  The newbie
honestly
wants a good and solid answer about why an "extreme" dog is so great, even if
it is "balanced"
No where in the GSD standard does it call for an extreme dog, which is why I
bring the whole point up.  I now know what the angles mean in our breed, but I
don't see why so many dogs these days are being described as "angular"  Our
breed is not supposed to be an angular breed.  It's supposed to be smooth lines
and curves rather than angles.

I know that movement is very very important in our breed.  I understand that.
 I also understand that breeding is not as simple as I am about to make it
sound, but if you want better movement, why not take a moderately angulated dog
with excellent movement and breed it to a dog whose puppies need improving
instead of adding more angles?

And please, before you jump on me (or some of you anyway) for "acting like I
know it all" I don't.  I don't claim to.  I honestly don't think that anybody
can ever know it all, because we're always finding something new in the breed
as far as health, temperament, etc.  These are just honest questions from the
new kid on the block who wants some answers.

 - Jackie