[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ideal movement - according to the Standard

  • From: Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx, rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

The Standard is very descriptive about movement. Not only side movement, but
also coming and going and ligamentation and the transmission thru the back. The
dirty angulated dog that i think you are trying to describe, that might be
balanced from the side, would fall short of meeting the standard in the other
areas of movement(ie. coming and going, strenght of ligamentation etc) and
would need to be evaluated against the strenghts and weaknesses of the other
dogs that are in competition. When assessing movement it is best to look at all
parts of movement, as they are combined togethor to make the truly functional
animal.

Bill
Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So Paul, are you saying that as long as the dog is in balance, extremes are
acceptable and if yes, what kind of front would the dog need to have that would
justify the extreme rear needed to balance it out. Wouldn't these extremes in
both the front and rear suggest that the dog's fore and hind quarters are not
correct to the Standard?

I'm not trying to be combative, I'm trying to understand the logic behind how
dirty over angulated dogs continue to win and how far we will take it, how much
we will munipulate the physical structure of the dog in order to achieve
"movement" regardless of how one defines it.

I do agree that the Standard is very specific when it comes to movement and
transition, including how the dog should look from the side, front and back,
but as with anything, interpetation is everything.

Cindy
RivendellP wrote:
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ideal movement - according to the Standard

I also think you can get too much of a good thing. If in theory, the dog
with it's flapping hocks can move better, is better balanced, achieves the
ultimate flying trot, should the dog win, or is their a point when creating
a deformity in an effort to produce the ultimate flying trot becomes
acceptable.

Cindy

Paul opines...

Too much of anything that disturbs a balance is wrong. A dog might have an
extreme rear...extreme as in working rear...that goes with an extreme front
and is in balance allowing the parts to work together efficiently.

I think our current Standard is a very good to exceptional one. I read the
words on motion and can picture exactly what they mean. I am fortunate
however, as I have seen various dogs that emulate the requests of the
Standard. I have seen some on lead and some off lead but the idea of balance
is obvious when present as well as it is obvious when it isn't there.

Every dog has its own best speed that allows the body's parts work in
perfect harmony. As many handlers will attest...those are the very words I
say after judging a dog on down and back. I say "I want to see your dog on a
loose lead at the dogs best speed." Anyone handling a dog for money or an
award should be aware of exactly what that speed is and then showcase it.

Paul

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original