[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ideal movement - according to the Standard

  • From: Gsdman2@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 14:46:29 EDT

It sounds like Ann and I came up through the same school for learning the
breed that I did.  <G>  I'd wager that this story is familiar to many of us.
Tom Langlitz
In a message dated 7/9/2005 1:42:22 PM Central Daylight Time,
edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think the standard is clearly written and easy to understand if you have an
eye to look at a German Shepherd .  I remember going to look at my first show
prospect a "few" years ago, I had read and reread the standard, practically
had it memorized.I  was going to buy the perfect puppy. Well when I looked at
that puppy, nothing that I had memorized helped me to know if it was a good
puppy or not.I bought it and it wasn't.   IMO, you have to develop an eye and
it
may take years.  You have to talk to experts, go to shows and study the
catalog and the dogs in the ring and find out why one won and why another one
didn't. You have to study litters of puppies at all ages, not just yours, but
other
people's as well and then remember which ones turned out and which ones
didn't.  Then the so called experts that you talk to must be truly
knowledgable.
Just because someone has bred a champion or two doesn't make them an expert. I
know people that have bred several champions and still don't have a clue.  Then
you have to have a little luck and you just might get that star.
      Ann