[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ideal movement - according to the Standard

  • From: "David Fritsche" <dfritsche@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 07:48:57 -0700

> IMO  I don't think extremely angulated dogs move correctly according
> to the
> Standard and the point of my original post was to find out why they
> continue to
> win or why I'm not correct in my opinion.
> The problem is, the word "extreme" is relative to a person's point
> of view.
> If you compare a dog's angles to the angles stated in the standard,
> you just
> might be surprised to find out that the angles you believe are
> correct, might
> actually be lacking.  I wouldn't know if that is the case or not as
> I'd have to
> be a mind reader to see things as you do.
> Tom Langlitz

Thanks Tom....
Here is the foundation stone of the "problem" we face in determining
what is correct. The terms, the view and the understanding is relative
to our perception. We are told these days that perception is reality -
that is: everyone has a different reality shaped by their perception.
That is why we go to shows with dogs who have lost before, hoping for
a different reality in the next judge. That is why we take our losses
and keep going. If everyone had the same view, the same mind set and
the same objective reality, only one dog should show up at the show, -
well, maybe one dog, one bitch and one Special.

I fight doggedly to get other people to understand proper movement.
Why in the world would anyone prefer a front that hits the end of it's
extension 4 inches off the ground (lift). I don't know, but some do.
Why would anyone breed dogs that cannot carry through on the rear
stroke, stopping half way through (Locked). I don't know, but they do.
WHY DO PEOPLE DISAGREE WITH ME....
    * Can I help it if I'm right?
    * You don't have to agree with me, you have the right to be wrong!
    * Someone has to be right, and it might as well be me!!!
    * I did make a mistake once, I thought I had been wrong but I was
wrong about that!
And so it goes.... <VBG>

We each have that view in our mind that we perceive as reality - what
the standard says, and we can see it on the field of competition,
while all the time the person standing next to us is doing the same
thing, and seeing things totally different. Is that a sad state of
affairs? Not at all. It is the foundation stone of the Sport of the
Pure Bred Dog. That is why we require points from at least three
judges and majors from two - to accommodate the phenomena of
difference of  perception and opinion.

What I am NOT saying is that we have the right to ignore the standard
because of personal preference. I am not advocating that we remove the
standard in favor of judging on the basis of individual likes and
dislikes. In fact, the next judge who tells me my bi-color boy is too
dark, I think I'll just punch them!!! <G>

What I am trying to say, possibly has already been said better by
Tom.... I would have to get inside someone else's head the see through
their eyes to understand what they are seeing or not seeing, and that
is not going to happen. I will just have to influence, preach and
argue my perception and hopefully be open to receive the same in
return. In the end, we will never all agree, never see the breed with
the same eyes and perception and will keep going to show, not in spite
of those differences, but because of them.

There is my Sunday Morning sermon.....
Dave