[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Hunte situation

  • From: "Ginger Cleary" <cleary1414@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-L@Freelists. Org" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:44:10 -0500

It occurs to me.... perhaps they see the "bigger picture"....

Hunte Corporation is a broker, as I  keep saying.  They do not breed
puppies.  They take  puppies from the breeders
who work with them, screen the puppies  for any health problems, treat them
if possible,  socialize them, and then
ship them to market.  It's a very  clean, well-run, very well-staffed
operation.  As I also  keep saying and others do too, if Hunte weren't
shipping a good  product, he'd have been out of business long ago, instead
of having grown his  business.

Moreover, if Hunte weren't offering  their breeders a good price for their
puppies, they wouldn't have  any breeders working with them.  On the
contrary, not  only do they pay very decently for puppies, but they offer
their breeders a lot of support.  Hunte's objective is  not just to
mass-produce puppies but to deliver a good  product.

You say it's hard work raising  puppies.  Then you say the brokers make tons
of  money for doing nothing but providing a clean building,  veterinary
care, and staff to take care of the puppies.    Uh, the maintenance of clean
kennels, the veterinary bills, and the  staff doesn't cost nothing.  The
overhead is  enormous.   Any labor-intensive
work--and I can hardly think of  anything more labor-intensive than raising
animals--is very high  overhead.  The biggest cost is labor  itself.

Sure, when everything goes right, it's  fun, it's rewarding.  Which is why
Mr. Hunte likes his work, as do  most people who raise animals whether as a
hobby or  commercially.  People who like their work tend to do well at it.
Like Mr.  Hunte.

You think the CB's don't care if  puppies are sick and defective and have to
be PTS or they don't care  if they have to PTS an adult dog?   You're
making assumptions about something you don't know.   For most  CB's, a bitch
about to whelp is as much a source of anxiety and  nervousness and pleasure
when it all goes well as it is for any  hobby breeder.   They don't want to
lose their animals any more  than you or I do, except for the CB, it's loss
of income, as  well as an emotional jolt.

As for brokers, most CB's sell  directly to the pet shops. AFAIK, Hunte
Corporation is very  unusual in that it
brokers, but doesn't breed  puppies.  It might even be unique.

The obvious reason Hunte and all CB's would not want  PAWS like legislation
is just what I said already.  If PAWS (don't think it won't be back!) is
enacted and  mini-PAWS follow on the state level, as seems inevitable, the
first breeders to hit the dust will be the private breeders.  The CB's  will
be left standing, but not indefinitely.   They will be the next targets of
all AR-driven breeding limitation laws.   As  it is, much of the fancy
supported PAWS, because it already  believes the CB's should go out of
business tomorrow, that only me and my three best friends should be allowed
to breed AND to own good pets.  (Everyone else, all us great unwashed,  can
make do with rescues.)

The CB's, politically aware and organized, can see the future, and a future
in which they can't stay in business doesn't
make them any happier than it makes any of us.   Armageddon might come later
for them than for us private breeders,  but it will come eventually.   So
they don't want PAWS,  either.

In fact, they don't want any ARistas messing around in  their perfectly
legal, already highly regulated businesses.

Mr. Hunte could help us, if he wanted to.  The CB's could  help us, if we
weren't so snobby about them.   That's my  only shtick. It isn't a question
of whom I admire or not,  it's survival here, and I'd like to think the next
time I want  to
breed, if ever, or just get a nice puppy from a good breeder, that those
possibilities will still exist.

And yes I recall the accident with the semi truck.... it was tragic to be
sure.  So was the loss of 18+ dogs in a house fire of a professional handler
in CA some years back.  You think accidents don't happen to the "good
guys"??

Okay... flame away....

Ginger Cleary - Rome, GA www.rihadin.com <http://www.rihadin.com>
"Laws against something 'that other guy' does will eventually get US because
we are all someone's 'other guy.' " Walt Hutchens,2007