[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs will no longer be used by Guide Dogs for the Blind

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx>, <Dir@xxxxxxxxxx>, <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>, <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 21:35:20 -0800

We donated several dogs to Guide Dogs For The Blind in the past and all of them
passed and
became Guide Dogs.   At that time we also had a VERY large puppy male that they
placed with
a very tall man for a 'perfect match'.    I always think of that when people
warn that our "big dogs"
will be the ruination of the Breed and cannot work.
We always went to watch the dogs we donated Graduate as it is very rewarding to
see these GSD
love their new job with their new blind owners.    Then they came and took a
bitch for breeding to
set up their own breeding program " rather than depend on Breeders."
A few years later we went to visit with friends and I was absolutely shocked to
see the poor
temperament I saw in PUPPIES that they were raising.    It was a huge
disappointment to me.
I am not at all surprised they will quit using GSD because in my opinion.....as
Kathy and Ruth
said...their failure is in their own breeding program.  Not the German Shepherd
Dog Breed!
Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com