[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSDs will no longer be used by Guide Dogs for the Blind

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:12:10 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Ruth for you posts.....people shouldn't consider it a slam on the breed.
 Overall I do think there are other breeds more suited for this type of work
though I didn't realize they were breeding their own dogs.....might be that
they are not breeding the correct type of dog for this line of work and that
would be a darn shame.

  Cindy

  Ruth Scheubler <rightdogphoto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I agree - the retrievers do a very good job for them, they train quickly,
generally are much easier for the handlers to deal with, and very public
friendly and easy care. Those are all important factors.
Now it is not my dog of choice,but I have met very many labs I thought were
very good dogs.

I understand the group's choice as the one that works best for them. I do
believe that they are offering a valid point of view - it is not the full view
- but the view out of their window. It should not be considered an attack, but
an honest statement of what works for htem.

Ruth
Edwin Hill wrote:
My second ex-wife is blind as a result of a brain aneurysm about 6 years ago,
she almost died....she wanted a German Shepherd guide dog very much but the
school at the time did not have any, I believe they were phasing them out
then....she has a black Lab named Woodson, she's had him for about three years
now.....when the question came out about what breed would you have if not a
Shepherd...I'd have a Lab....Woodson is the most incredible know I have ever
known...he watches over my ex like a hawk!...she loves that dog much better
than me, and I don't blame her....Ed Hill
Connie wrote: The only place I find mention of this is here . There are some
interesting comments to it below.
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/bulletins_read/155362.html

Connie Palmer Williams
German Shepherd Rescue of Central Colorado
..."I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep"...Robert Frost
www.GSDRColorado.com
Board member
www.LastHopeSafeHaven.com

Cindy