[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Fw: Your Lyin' eyes.... breed type vs style

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 15:19:46 -0500

Kay is right...someone mentioned how uniform Goldens are, for example.
Well, yes, they are...mostly due to one dog who did a lot of winning
a few decades ago...and for some reason, everyone in the breed wanted
their dogs to look like him...and they sort of do.  another thing the breed
got, along with the uniform look, was the uniform lack of prosternum
(that's forechest) and a short, straight upper arm..........
and now, they have no place to go to get those things back.  It's so bad
in the breed that almost no one will admit that these things are gone
forever...and you should see what they accept as an example of an
excellent front.
       The GSD nearly went that way after Lance...everyone wanted, and
most still want, that extreme motion...and the rear that went with it...
but thanks to the LACK of uniformity in style, the breeders were, for
the most part, able to retain the more extreme rear and most of the motion,
while not allowing the entire breed to become crippled, which non-GSD
people said it was.
       Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.  But cookie cutter
dogs is not the way to go...not in any breed, and certainly not in
German Shepherds.
Peggy