[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Florida Legislative Alert

  • From: Rikers123@xxxxxxx
  • To: Vixen12@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:17:54 EST

In a message dated 3/9/2006 2:04:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, Vixen12  writes:

Florida Statutes, to receive a certificate of veterinary inspection
with each  dog or cat purchased from a pet dealer. Such certificate  shall
list all  vaccines and deworming medications administered to  the animal and
shall
state  that the animal has been examined by a  Florida-licensed veterinarian
who  certifies that, to the best of  the veterinarian's knowledge, the animal
was  found to have been  healthy at the time of the veterinary examination.
In
the  event  that the consumer purchases the animal and finds it to have been
unfit  for purchase as provided in section _828.29_

I don't see the problem...don't we keep records on our puppies worming,  and
shots prior to taking in for their health certs?  I  do!    I also have a
contract that allows buyers 72 hours to  take said puppy to a vet for exam....I
don't know if I'm missing something  here??
Tina

It would be a REQUIREMENT before a breeder can place any puppies  and on ANY
dog coming into the state that has been or is sold. You have a litter  of 8
puppies, you must pay for a health certificate for each one before they can  be
sold. Now, I vet check all my puppies before they leave here, but I would
have to pay an additional 35.00 for a health certificate if I sold one to
someone in Florida and drove that dog across the state line. AND I would have
give a dog under 16 wks of age a battery of vaccinations including rabies.
Vaccinations, some of which I don't even give. I give 3 puppy shots starting at
 9
wks of age 3 weeks apart and rabies at 6 months then a 3 yr rabies at 18
months. Besides the 3 yr rabies, I don't give anything else and don't want my
dogs to have anything else because I think it jeopardizes the immune system by
overloading it. My dogs over 10 do not get rabies shots. They get titers
instead  and a vet statement that they are protected. This proposal states what
you
HAVE  to give and at what age.

Denise  Groenewald
SE Regional Representative for the GSDCA
Responsible  Legislation Education Effort Foundation
_www.greenwoodshepherds.com_ (http://www.greenwoodshepherds.com/)