[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Essential behavors for any dog?

  • From: grnram415@xxxxxxx
  • To: texasgsds@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:14:53 -0400

Mine are come, stay and a toss up between wait and back.  Stay means stay until
I release you.  My dogs don't move until I tell them to move.  However, the
biggest complaint I have from pet people is the bolting thru doors.  So, I use
back and wait together to prevent this behavior.  Back up and wait.  Back
should be self explanitory.  Back up and give me room.  The wait is good
because if I am leaving the home and put a dog on a stay, they should stay
right there until I come back and release them.  Not a good option when you are
going to be gone for awhile.  So, the wait means they have to wait until I am
out of the door and it is closed before you can move.  Or, it means that
another command may be coming.  Either way, it's not as set in stone as a stay.

Good question.

Laura