[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Essential behavors for any dog?

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx, jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 14:39:57 -0700 (PDT)

How about the   NO Shedding.... command :0)
Terry

________________________________
From: "Kathy Partch" <jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 09:43:46 -0700

Of course there's many commands we want to teach our dogs. My husband loves
the command, "Watch Me!" And his dogs have always done just that. I have a
little issue between the obedience trainer I have at this time. And she has
many titles under her belt. She teaches the class "Stay!" in two different
meanings & I will NOT do that. "Stay!" means stay until I come back to that
dog & release him. "Wait!" means that dog will be given another command in
some time after. I told my trainer I will not give my dog a "Stay!" command
on a recall. I tell my dogs, "Wait!" Lets say something happened (whatever)
when you give your dog the "Stay!" And for some reason can't come back to
that dog. You have to give the dog a different release or the dog could be
there forever...;o) I've taught the dog I have now the command "STOP!" or a
recall on a full run. Just like K-9 police training a recall after the bad
guy. It's a very important exercise. That might save your dogs life some day
if he's running after something & there's traffic! They say, "In a real-life
drama commands might be much different than just practice too. Your voice
will/could have a different tone if stressed. So you want to practice in all
different situations if possible. Sometimes all easier said than done. And
oh yes, trying to teach people to say "OFF!" instead of "Down!" Oh dear! I
guess there's a lot more we want our dogs & friends to know than we think.
Kathy Partch