[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dancin with Dogs

  • From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "sheila lieberman" <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>, EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx, LEWIEB@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:28:09 -0500

Sheila,I agree with you in this regard. Saying a dog is lousy or won't
finish isn't constructive and is vague. Lousy? in what way? this teaches
nothing. Long time ago, I had a black and silver dog, I entered him in a
fun match that was being judged by someone who at that time had much more
knowledge of the breed than I did. I entered my dog under him and was dead
last in the class and deservedly so. Later, the judge came to me and began
talking. Toward the end of the conversation, in a very condescending way,
he said to me " Well, maybe someday you will have some quality dogs." He
wasn't being sincere, he was being insulting. This went right through me! I
have seen him off and on since that time, he probably doesn't remember what
he said to me, but one day I would like to thank him for pissing me off
enough to succeed!Recently I had a discussion with a novice at a show that
I happen to like and would have enjoyed mentoring. She stated that she had
a dog that was of very average quality and was not well bred and that she
was going to acquire a nice bitch to breed to him to see what he would
produce. I asked "why?" I explained, if you had a great mare, would you
take it down the road to breed to a grade horse to get a Secretariat? Well,
no she replied and I explained. "that is what you would be doing, breeding
back wards, instead you should take a great bitch and find a great dog that
is well bred to breed her to." Instead of thinking to herself, Gee, I
should listen to someone who has had some success, it was the end of
conversation for the rest of the weekend. This wasn't rude, but the truth
however it wasn't what she wanted to hear, because she wanted to be  told
it was a great idea.. I have learned many don't want the truth,they want to
be validated.I  never to say a dog won't finish because just about the time
you do, the owners show it long enough to finish it. I have some people I
mentor, I enjoy them because they want to learn. Others don't want to
learn. Not much different than class at school, some students try hard and
want to be successful, some are just happy to get by, others don't apply
themselves at all and eventually drop out, blaming the teachers and the
system for their failures.Christine

hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Steve and Christine Grainger
WWW.HICKORYHILLGSD.COM

can be said that "your dog will never finish, it is lousy."  Or you can
say, "He has a lovely temperament, a nice head, but his angulation is not
enough to finish him.  He might get a few points at smaller shows, and that
might be fun for you, but if you want a champion, you need to study more
and wait till you are ready for another dog, whenever that is for you.
Then, I will gladly help you selet a dog that will do better in the ring.
In the meantime, we can get to know each other and I can teach you about my
dogs and what I think of them, and I can help you study the standard."

>   This has a much better chance of getting new people interested than to
just pan a dog.  Find the good qualities and comment on them, and make
clear what the dog lacks, but with good humor and good will.  Then see if
they bite and get bit by the dog show thing.

http://www.aol.com.