[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Dancin with Dogs

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tyke.8953@xxxxxxxxxxx, the list <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:00:26 -0700 (PDT)

Ah, gee, thanks Mom. kiss kiss, hug hug. sheila
tyke.8953@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:    -------------- Original message --------------
From: "" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Sheila,I agree with you in this regard. Saying a dog is lousy or won't
> finish isn't constructive and is vague. Lousy? in what way? this teaches
> nothing. ..............

  When I got my very first shep puppy (I think it was about 300 years ago), the
breeder encouraged me to show him.  He took firsts in his puppy classes, and I
was was well and truly bitten.  When he went into novice, though, he didn't do
anywhere near as well, and I was wondering about continuing him in the ring.  I
entered him under a very well-known and respected judge, in hopes of getting a
real evaluation of his chances.  He went last in his class.  After judging
finished, I went over to the judge to talk to him.  There was a couple already
talking to him, so I stood back a bit, waiting for him to finish with them.
Even to my unschooled eyes, the dog (black and white/silver, very poor head,
dippy back, etc.) had little to recommend himself as a show dog.  The judge was
very gently explaining his faults to the owner, and then looked over at my dog.
 He flagged me over, and then pointed out to them my dog's beautiful head, good
shoulders, beautiful croup and tail set,
 and told them that they should wait until they got a dog as good, and at least
their dog had a very good temperament while his first shep was very nasty.  He
wished them well, and told them he hoped to see them again one day.  After they
walked away, all I could do was almost to scream out "If you like him so much,
why did you dump him?"  The judge's response was "I DUMPED him?"  I walked
away, totally irate and confused about my dog, judges, dog shows and everything
else.  I never showed that dog again, and never showed under that judge again.
  I suspect that I could have finished that dog had I known what I do now - he
would have done well in the all-breed ring rather than under specialty judges -
but I got back into showing after getting a bitch, and was very fortunate in
having a daughter who not only took up my love of the breed, but as a youngster
was interested in junior showmanship, had the physic to move a dog (I'm a
natural born klutz), and developed the eye to see what makes a really good dog.
  Elaine Estep

 with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.