[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat color question AGAIN...

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <Vontan@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:41:48 -0800

  pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes
  :sable  puppies?  Sounds like a pure recessive, no?  And yet, I've heard
that sable is
  dominant........I don't see how that can be  true..........I really need to
see that site.

  Yvonne writes:
  *  Peggy, Sable is  dominant so one parent has to be sable to produce  sable
puppies.
  *  Sable to sable doesn't necessarily produce sable puppies  unless one of
the sable parents
  is dominant for sable (meaning they only have  sable to  give the offspring).

  *  I have a sable male who was out of 2 sable  parents, he's never been bred
but I though it would be
  interesting to breed him  only for the  fact to see if he is dominant for
sable or could produce a  b/t,
  Yvonne

  *  If it is dominant....can't both parents just carry sable as their "other
color"  and be black and
  tan and still produce sables???   If not......why not ?   Does the sable gene
ALWAYS manifest itself
  in the actual color of the dog??
  We bred a black and tan to a dark black and tan years ago and got one sable
bitch in
  a litter of black and tans.   I'm told this is not possible......( Hi Fred
<G> ) ......but it happened.
  NO......we had no sable dogs on our property during that time.....bitch was
shipped anyway.
  *  I thought you just said sable  ( the COLOR )  is dominant?   If the color
sable is dominant
  and you breed two sables together it seems to me you would get ONLY sables??
  *  I know if you breed two blacks   ( double recessive )  all you get is
solid black.
  It seems to me.....<G>........IF sable is dominant....he will produce
sables???   If sable IS dominant
  it should mean that a dog will  produce sable even if the other dog does not
carry a sable factor?

  Color genetics make me dizzy and stupid and I need coffee......or
sleep.....getting dizzy....falling.....zzzzzz

  Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxx