[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat color question AGAIN...

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 09:13:08 -0500

    Dominant means it is the one that shows....recessive means it
doesn't always show, but if a recessive meets a recessive, the dog will
be and will only produce
that colour.
       Eyes in humans are the easiest way to understand dominant and
recessive...........two blue eyed parents can't have a brown eyed child.
One brown eyed parent with a blue eyed parent can have children with
both blue and brown eyes...and the brown eyed child from such parents
can have blue eyed children if the other parent carries
blue........therefore, two brown eyed parents can have blue eyed children.
    Colour genetics are the easiest to understand....the problem lies in
that not all colours are as the genes describe them....   what I mean
there is
genetically, green eyes may be blue...hazel eyes could be either blue or
brown...
          If sable is dominant then a dog carrying a gene to produce
sable will be sable but could be carrying another colour.....but a black
or b/t dog
can't carry sable, because the dominant colour will always show.
       If pure black is recessive (as one site claims it to be) then
black is the only colour a black dog or bitch can pass on...and the
incomplete dominance might result in black and tan -- however colour is
only one part of the inheritance...there is also a gene that controls
pattern....hence the "saddle" marked black and tan......which varies in
how much black gets passed on and how big the saddle is.
       There is incomplete dominance, too...which is probably why there
are so many variations of sable.......
             and if sable is a pure dominant, it should have wiped out
all the other colours by now.
Peggy