[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Breeding maiden bitch at age 4? *Newbie Alert*

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>, "GSD List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:48:40 -0400

Sarah, We were on the fence for years about breeding Izzy (Todorhaus Bmeer
Dizzy Miss Lizzy, OFA, DM tested.)  I lost a beloved shepherd due to bloat
in 2009 and for a few years, the heart went out of me, for showing AND
breeding.  However, we bred Izzy, who is now 5 years old; we did
progesterone testing and 2 AIs--the result is 6 gorgeous puppies, who are
almost 6 weeks old.  Izzy had no problems at all delivering and is indeed,
one of the BEST mothers I have ever seen.  This is our first breeding since
2008 and well worth the wait.  I say GO FOR IT.

Penny in NC
The Farm Dog Forever

Does anyone have experience breeding a maiden bitch at age 4? I am on the
fence regarding breeding my bitch at 3 or 4. She is a working/performance
dog and even though she has titles now, I would like to put some more
training into her and get a few more before breeding her.  However, I didn't
know if 4 would be too late to have a first litter.....

Thank you,
Sarah